Thursday, June 3, 2021

Genzano di Lucania, is my town.

WELCOME TO MENFRANCO GENERAL BLOG. Today we will talk about, Genzano di Lucania the town that I come from; from my Hub Pages life story articles. 



This fountain is the oldest fountain in Genzano, this large trough in the foreground must be where the name of this fountain comes from, because it is used to water the horses (italian cavalli) so, Cavallina means the place where you water the horses, it was handy to water them when leaving or coming back to town. in the background there is also the fountain with several spout of water that the people used to drink and do the washing when there was no running water supply in town. 

Welcome to our article, Genzano di Lucania

Dear readers, let me tell you about my native town of Genzano di Lucania, because I am writing my life story and my native town. Genzano is a town in Southern Italy and the town I came from. Anyhow, I hope that some readers that have emigrated themselves, like to read this article. 

Now, allow me to explain the situation, since I am an Italian born and grew in this town of Genzano di Lucania, I suppose that most of my town people would have liked to see this article written in Italian; but that has not been possible to do for a couple of reasons, first because our computer programs are in English, therefore, it is hard to write in another language other than English, because the computer will mark those writing as being wrong.

The other reason is that the English language has a larger audience, and there are a lot of migrated Italians that speak English now. So, I have decided to write them in English, because it is easier for me; however, I am also writing a blog at, http://genzanoit.blogspot.com, there are a few pages written in Italian, in the page section and links that helps see other things about this town, including articles that have been written from native writers.

Now let me introduce myself, so that my countrymen know who I am, my name is, Francesco Menchise and I was born and lived in Genzano di Lucania when I was young, So, I want to salute all those who remember me, since I remember most of you even today; greetings and all the best to you all my friends. I must say that while I am writing this article, I wish I could see you once again even if it is for a short while, you see even today I feel homesick, well not really homesick, but I would like to be back there once again, just to see the people that I know. 

Anyhow, there is a lot more to show you, than what I can write here in this blog, so, please click on this Hub Pages link to see the original article of, Genzano di Lucania.

------------------------------

Welcome to Genzano di Lucania

Let me welcome you again to read about my native town of Genzano di Lucania, because this is the town where I was born and where I lived when I was young, I am writing about this town, so that you would understand better my life story and those events that were taking place in this town when I was young. 

To see more, hereunder are some links, please click on the links as prompted by your computer.

Genzano di Lucania, YouTube link, I say it is an excellent video to start with.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dEon5GA04Y

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsPrg1ucmsQ

Genzano di Lucania - Basilicata - indettaglio.it

Let us hope that these links work for our readers, anyhow there are other things that we want to show you starting with Genzano soccer field.

------------------------------------------------------

Genzano soccer field

In Italy one of the main sports that everybody follows is what we call here soccer, so, most towns have their soccer field. Genzano di Lucania has its own soccer field too, which the inhabitant would be proud to show you beside other things; but let us start to show you some photos, since the Italian people love soccer; as far as I remember Genzano has had a soccer team, and today they have a proper soccer field as well.

We need to say here that when I was a teenager there was not a real soccer field yet, anyone that was interested in soccer had to wait after the wheat harvest to get the soccer field going for that season. After the wheat harvest in a field at the outskirt of the town they would flatten the ground level enough to play for that season. It was okay, because in Southern Italy in summer is usually very dry, so, the soccer matches were on just the same, but there were times when a thunderstorm would come and ruin the sporting event. I remember this because it happened to me when I was young, we all had to run and find shelter wherever we could at the nearest houses in town, we got wet, but it was fun. This is how I remember these soccer matches and the old soccer fields. 

To see the photos and other things click on this link, and follow the prompts. Genzano di Lucania.

Talking about old Genzano town photos

In this article there will be several photos that we will paste in when we find them. Anyhow, let me show you an aerial photo: This first photo here shows you the oldest part of Genzano, which is very ancient and there are a few stories how this town was started. So, in my later articles there will be a story or two written how this town was started from people living nearby, perhaps in caves or other make shift dwellings; today there are a few theories that have been written recently, from local writers and one of these writers in this link, Scrittori e poeti, this link is for those that can read Italian as they are written in Italian, if the link works click on the writer Ettore Lorito he has written perhaps the real story about Genzano origin and why this town was called Genzano, so, my own explanation here-under may or may not be correct, however it is my point of view.

About Genzano and about me. 

Anyhow, as I have said, my name is Francesco Menchise born and grown in Genzano di Lucania and I migrated to Australia a long time ago, but I have never forgotten my original home town of Genzano, therefore, now I am writing the memories of my life and my home town. 

In my life memories I will be writing several things about Genzano whenever the occasion arises, I will be writing all those hearsay and stories that went around town while I lived in Genzano when I was young. I am going to write about the most important events that happen in Genzano like this feast, (festa della Madonna) See photos. What I am going to say here can surprise even a modern Genzano person since things have changed a lot in the last 50 years or so, therefore, don’t be surprised if you learn something from me about my original hometown of Genzano di Lucania in these articles.

Homesick and some other stuff

We who migrated from our native hometowns, we will always feel home sick, so, we remember all those things that we have left behind, therefore, in Genzano there are good things to remember; but  I had to leave all those things behind when I migrated to Australia, anyhow I still keep them in my mind even today.

Now that I have talked to you about my native town of Genzano, let me tell you a bit more about myself and what I am going to write in Hub Pages articles, you see I have already published a few articles, where I am writing about my memories and other things as well; please click on the links below to view and read our articles:

An old man life story, A man life journey, My life my struggles

An old man story, Midway introduction life story, Our life observations, Wine making the old ways, Genzano Greek Chasm chapter, My farm life experience, 2, Genzano Greek chasm and Madonna story, My first farm life experience

My farm life chapter, 3, My farm life chapter, 4, My farm life chapter, 5

My farm life chapter, 6, Cheese making grandma way

Farming today compared to the old way, Making ricotta my grandma way

Genzano Cavallina twilight, Genzano is the town I came from, Genzano di Lucania history, Strage in Genzano di Lucania

These are some of the articles that I have written and published in this domain called Hub Pages.  

Genzano twin town

My dear readers and Genzano folks I have to say that while I was looking for Genzano di Lucania on the Internet, I have found on the Internet also Genzano di Roma, which is a larger town and seems to be important in art; but that does not matter, because it is not my native town.

Anyhow, I believe that I have said enough in this article, so, see you in our next article, Genzano the Lucania history. To see more click on this link,  Genzano di Lucania

------------------------------------------


No comments: