Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Compare work opportunities

WELCOME TO OUR BLOG, IN ADDITION TO OUR OWN POSTS, WE WILL BE COLLECTING INFORMATION FROM ANY PUBLIC SOURCE, AND BY DOING SO, WE HOPE TO BE ABLE TO SUPPLY SOME USEFUL INFORMATION TO OUR READERS; WE ARE ALSO GOING TO HAVE SOME DO IT YOURSELF POSTS.
-
Welcome to our blog, Menfranco general blog
and this post, Compare work opportunities
-

Most times in the past when we migrant came to Australia we did very hard physical work, but we did not complain, because it was a job and we would earn money from it.



Compare work opportunities

What sort of opportunities were available in Australia in the sixties
Dear readers, before you read this post, you need to read our previous post, working opportunities in Australia. When I arrived in Australia in March 1961 my relative and friends were telling me that there were not many job vacancies readily available, so, I had to be patient until a job would be available. But what sort of work I could do they were not sure just I had to wait and see, what I knew about working for other people was that if a job was offered to me I had to work hard, since in my country when we hired some workers to do some work in our family farm, we would aspect them to work hard so that they would earn their pay, therefore I was in my right frame of mind to go out and work hard, whatever job was offered would do me just fine. I have said this, because it is necessary to understand that whoever attempts to migrate to another country, he/she must be ready to work hard if they want to succeed, and it all boils down you need to do a fair work day for fair daily pay.
Beside my willingness to work I was also young and fit enough to do any manual job that I was offered, the only problem was that I didn't speak English, I had learned perhaps a few words on the way to Australia while we were sailing, as there was an English teacher on the ship for that purpose. But as we all know English is a very hard language to learn, especially if one comes from a country that their language is phonetic and once you know some rules, one can read from a book and somehow come close to the sound that those written words are pronounced, but English is not written phonetically so to learn English one must be exposed to the English speaking people and slowly learn from them, so as you can see I and other emigrant like me had a lot to learn, before we could speak English well enough to fit in the Australian speaking community.
Anyhow, now let me tell you that although I had very little English somehow everything turned out all right in the end, perhaps this is another reason why people think that Australia is the land of opportunities.
For me when I came to Australia I was still thinking the Italian ways, so, I was thinking that I was on my own and I had to find my own way around, but here I had a pleasant surprise when for the first time some relative took me to see the unemployment office.
In Italy when you go to an Italian office if you want something done quickly you need to know somebody in there, otherwise before your turn comes the office hours are over and you have to come back the day after, so I was wondering how could we succeed in these Australian offices, since I didn’t speak English and my friend was just a little bit better than me.
Anyhow we waited our turn and soon we were being interviewed from this middle aged man that seemed to have so much patience and understanding of the whole situation, he slowly worked out what we wanted by asking and repeating what we did not understand, and he noted everything down as he asked me many things to see what sort of job I would be able to do, I remember even now that one of his questions was if I were afraid of heights and I said no as I was going up some tall trees to prune them, he also asked if I knew anything about building or building maintenance, here again I said yes as we sometimes would repair some farm building. I believe that these two things gave me the first job in the building industry, as I was called one day to go to work for the first time in Australia. My first job was on a chimney stack in the brickworks where bricks are made, which somehow I managed to hold for a couple of weeks, until a bigger gang came and I became a bit confused in the middle of all those people, and I lost my first job for lack of knowledge or lack of understanding English. But anyhow I had my first work experience and I was sure that soon there was going to be another one.
Before I close this page and start another one, I really want to say that Australia is/was a great country to be in, just because people are given their opportunities as they deserve, as long as they are willing to work hard for what they deserve.
And in the unemployment offices the officers are just great people to deal with, or at least they were when I came to Australia. I am going to continue this article and talk about how I ended up working in the Australian building industry.
-----------------------------------

 Australia building industry

Working in the Australian building industry
As I have said above my first job in Australia was in the building industry, because I ended up to work as a bricklayer’s labour, but I lost that job for a couple of reasons. I believe that I lost the first job, because I didn’t know much English and at the same time I had no much experience, and for that reason I could not guess what they wanted me to do next. After that I had another job which ended very much the same; but then one day suddenly a small Italian builder needed a labour and he knew that I could be available, so he came to fetch me and asked if I would be interested to work for him, and this is how I ended up to work in the building industry, I worked for him for about two years, but then he went on holiday to Italy for a long time, therefore he temporary closed down the business, but by then the Italian building community new about me, so, in a few days I had another job to go to, always in the building industry with another builder or contractors working as a bricklayer labour.
You see in those times there was a lot more work for people wanting to work, but at the same time we knew that we had to work hard because there was a lot of competition going on even in those days, so what could I say if we work hard for it we will always find somebody that gives us work.
-------------------------------------------------

Compare the old ways with the new

Here we are trying to compare the old ways of migrating with the new ways.
Let us compare the way that I and most other legal emigrants around the sixties, with what is happening today illegal emigration, so that we might be able to spot some of the reasons why things don’t seem to work as good as they used to work.
When I and the other emigrants that came to Australia wanted to come to Australia during the sixties we had to be screened before we could have a visa that would allow us to come to Australia and work here.
This screening was somehow strict, as they did not want anybody that could become sick easily, so we had to go through a medical check, and there was another even stricter check about being legally of good character, even if you had ever had trouble with the police once you could be rejected, in fact they were so strict about this that if one had been somehow involved with the communist party, just by saying that he would vote for the communist he would not be allowed to come to Australia.
Now I hope that I have explained enough how strict those migrating laws were then, but we believe that this was a good thing also, as it worked well for us then, because as I have already said when I went to the unemployment office even though I did not speak much English they did everything possible to find us a job, and if they could not find us a job they would pay us the unemployment benefit, which was something that it was hard to get in the old country.
Now let me state my personal views about how Australia was then, I would say that just anyone that has come to Australia and has seen Australia the same way that I have seen it, they would know that Australia was and is a great country to live in; and if there is somebody that did not like Australia, it must be because they have their own personal problems and they are home sick.
Today Australia does not seem to be as good as it was before, because before anyone that could see Australia the way I saw it would fall in love with the Australian ways of living; but I have to say that we are still very well off compared to other countries. So I have to conclude this hub and say that Australia could be still the land of opportunities, if the people that come here come with the intention of working hard as we have been working in the past.
Anyhow this post is becoming too long, so see you next time with another article about Australia and the way that I have lived my life here.
---------------------------------------
Menfranco general blog 
Work opportunities in Australia
IS GOING TO BE CONTINUED; 
Next time with, Compare work opportunity   
---------------------------------------
 Some helpful links here under
Yola.com

No comments: